Friday, February 15, 2013

GALVESTON - DAY 2




My two major stops will be Bishop’s Palace and the Maceo Spice shop – both places are located off the normal bus route, so I’ll be getting my exercise today. And both open at 11 a.m., so I have some quality time before I “hit the road” – hopefully not like yesterday.

Speaking of exercise, yesterday consisted of exercise both vertically and horizontally. After much research, I found that the city bus stops a little distance from SandPiper where I’m RVing.  As I started my trek yesterday, I realized I had to cross the 4-lane highway and noted the next stoplight was past where I needed to cross.  So I attempted to “jaywalk” not noting that the highway blacktop was raised; after picking up my glasses and myself off the highway, I assessed damages – nothing was bleeding; nothing was broken – life is still good.  My knees got the worst part of the experience – so I walked like an old lady (no comments, please) from 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.  Put ice on knees when I got back to 888; this morning they were puffy and colorful but feel much better.  I walked up to the stoplight this morning…

The weather has been upper 60’s and sunny each day – which is perfect because Mac stays in 888 with the windows slightly open and stays comfortable.  Taking public transportation takes time, but it also provides opportunities to meet locals that give the true pulse of a city. Locals have been friendly and helpful which makes everything come together nicely.  The food has been good too--the shrimp I had yesterday for lunch was from the Gulf and had a layer of cheese, then was wrapped with bacon – they were called “Shrimp Kisses” and I loved them. Ate them at a restaurant called Fisherman’s Wharf overlooking the Gulf.  Today, I ate at Saltwater on the other side of town and ordered catfish covered with sweet potato puree on top of spinach – first time I’ve ever eaten catfish and have to admit I enjoyed.

Started Thursday morning with a visit to the Railroad Museum (opens at 10 a.m.) which is located inside the former Sante Fe Union Station – the depot is cleverly populated with life-like “ghosts” of travelers-past waiting for their train. 
 1929 Anacapa Private/Business Parlor Car built by Pullman
Maceo Spice Company
I then walked to the Maceo Spice Company, not conveniently located, plus only open from 11 – 2 p.m. where I purchased a variety of spices.  Checked out some antique stores and art galleries in the area.


1894 Opera House
After my delicious lunch at Saltwater, I noted the Opera House across the street and asked if I could just look inside. The main floor/stage is elegant; in1993, it was proclaimed "The Official Opera House of Texas."





I later toured the 1886-92 Bishop’s Palace, a Victorian castle cited as one of the 100 most important buildings in America. It’s rare woods, stained-glass windows, colored stone, massive fireplaces are indeed breathtaking. Nice to learn it served as a respite for people who lost their homes during “The Great Storm” of 1900. 
Winged lion statue


One winged lion statue went missing for several years, but was returned to again to guard the gates of Bishop’s Palace.


Squirrel with acorn
I concluded my day with a short but sweet “tree sculpture tour.” Ike, the 2008 hurricane, uprooted many of Galveston’s trees. 100% of the “Iked” wood has been kept out of landfills and used for recycling project by Galveston citizens—this project consisted of over 20 "tree sculptures."
Crested Heron

Hunter, the Great Dane
Trying to find the nearest bus stop back to 888 with my free city map was challenging; Ginger stopped her car to ask if I needed assistance – then offered to drive me back to my neighborhood – locals like Ginger are among my many reasons for loving Galveston….

No comments:

Post a Comment